Objective: The main objective is to carry out scientific-research works, focused on the study of rich cultural heritage of South Kazakhstan.
Tasks: The main task of the Institute is investigation of the most important monuments of urban culture in the south of Kazakhstan from the Bronze Ages to the Late Middle Ages.
Main achievements, research results, patents, articles, developments of the Research Institute “Archeological Investigations”: employees of the research institute participated in archaeological works on monuments of South Kazakhstan, carried out within the framework of the state program “Cultural Heritage”, as well as within the framework of grant financing of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan. The archaeological expedition was headed by Baitanayev B.A., Doctor of Historical Sciences, Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Under his management for the period of 2002-2009 years such monuments as Burgulyuk burial ground and settlement, Sairam and Shymkent hill-forts were investigated, as a result of which objects of material and spiritual culture were obtained that opened many pages of the history of our region, which were in turn kept in the funds of the republican museum.
Vallum of Shymkent hill-fort shakhristan with flanking towers and adjoining buildings, connected with Russian post of XIX c.
Shakhristan valuum external line cleanup process
Karakhanid period (X-XII cc.) bath remains, discovered in the central part of Sairam hill-fort shakhristan in a result of joint with A.Kh. Margulan Institute of Archeology archeological investigations in 2013
Discussion of excavation works with the head of the expedition B.A. Baitanayev and employees of the Research Institute “Archeological Investigations”
Medieval ceramics of Sairam hill-fort, obtained during opening of the bath
In the field season of 2012-2013 year, the staff of the research institute carried out archeological investigations on the theme “Archeological investigations of Kaitpas burial ground”, implemented within the framework of the grant financing of the Science Committee of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan. On this theme, Kaitpas burial ground was investigated – a monument having a structure in the form of several elongated chains of mounds with earth embankment located in the northern outskirts of Shymkent city. As a result, weighty data were obtained on such archeological monuments as burial mounds, the studies of which are highly relevant. A total of 8 burial mounds were studied over the entire period, under which single-chamber graves of various sizes were opened. In the burial mound No. 8, a completely new type of burial was opened – burials with L-shaped catacomb, which in turn is new in the archeological science. Almost all the grave pits are ravaged. The resulting materials, represented by few fragments of ceramic vessels (there are also whole forms), attributes of clothing: 2 gold disks with images of marine dwellers, fragments of foils, bells, as well as stone products were subjected to the comprehensive analysis. The complex of findings is preliminarily dated to the IV-II centuries BC. The presence of such artifacts, original for South Kazakhstan architecture of ground graves suggests the idea of a strong influence of the culture of the Iron Age tribes.
Opening of the burial chamber of the burial mound No. 3 in Kaitpas burial ground. IV-II centuries BC. Gold disks with images of marine dwellers.
Opened burial with L-shaped catacomb under the burial mound No. 8 in Kaitpas burial ground
Transfer of osteological material obtained during the excavations of the bath in Khankorgan settlement to the republican center of anthropology at M. Auezov SKSU, the field season of 2016
Discussion of the results of the excavations by the scientists – archeologists
In 2017, the employee of the research institute participated at the seminar “Heritage Impact Assessment for Cultural, Natural and Mixed World Heritage Properties” in Almaty city.
In the context of the subject of this seminar, the aspect that many archeological monuments need urgent measures in the field of conservation and preservation is relevant, which is impossible without collecting the maximum amount of information about the object. Methods for collecting information were discussed at the seminar. Participants familiarized with new methods of archeological documentation using new technologies. Methods of 3-dimensional documentation, which are the most profitable in terms of quality, simplicity and accessibility of execution, were shown.
Undoubtedly, the skills obtained will be used in further research of the archeological expeditions of M. Auezov SKSU.
Participant of International seminar “Heritage Impact Assessment for Cultural, Natural and Mixed World Heritage Properties”, Almaty, 2016
Work in archives is carried out in the research institute. The employee of the research institute Yu.A. Yolgin carried out work on the study of materials on the theme “Archeological, historical and architectural studies of Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi in the beginning of XX c. Based on the study in the Central State Archive of the Republic of Uzbekistan, funds of Sredazkomstaris, personal archival funds of Academician M.Ye. Masson, architects B.N. Zasypkin, L.Yu. Mankovskaya and others, he prepared the article “N.M. Bachinsky. Repair of the Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi in 1928”. It was established that the repairs of 1928-1930 are the first and most significant measures to preserve the monument after the revolution, which included the very first professional archeological investigations of the mausoleum. The role of architect N.M. Bachinsky, sent to the city of Turkestan in 1928 through Leningrad State Restoration Workshops and Institute of Archeological Technologies, was revealed. According to his records and reports, the painting of the repair of 1928, little known to specialists, was basically restored.
Investigations were carried out in the archives and libraries of Almaty, Tashkent, St. Petersburg, Moscow on the history of the study of the Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi in the beginning of XX c. Based on this material, the article “Questions of financing the repair of the Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi in 1906-1908” was written. Based on the report of V.S. Heinzelman to Turkestan Governor-General in April 1906, as well as on other documents grouped in the extensive case “On malfunction of the mosque of Khazret Ahmet Yassawi and sale of 2 candlesticks” (CSA of the RofUz., F. I-1, Op. 12, D. 828), the program of repair of the monument, which included the first architectural measurements and opening of underground parts of the building, was analyzed. The analysis is given in comparison with modern archeological data. The main publications for the last 3 years:
Journals with Impact Factor
1. Baitanayev B.A., Yergeshbayev A., Suleimenova Zh., Shayakhmetov A.Kh. Tortkultobe hill-fort // Bulletin of Kalmyk University of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation. – Elista, 2017. – No. 34 (2). – P. 21-31
Journals recommended by the Committee for control in the sphere of education and science of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan:
1. Baitanayev B.A., Suleimanov R.Kh., Yergeshbayev A.A., Shayakhmetov A.Kh. Early medieval hill-fort Tortkultobe (Preliminary results of 2015) // News of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Series of social sciences and humanities. – Almaty, 2015. No. 6. – P. 154-164
2. Baitanayev B.A. Kushan medallion from Karaspan // News of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan. – Almaty, 2016. No. 6. – P. 62-66
3. Baitanayev B.A., Yergeshbayev A.A., Shayakhmetov A.Kh. Medieval lamps – Sairam chirags // News of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Series of social sciences and humanities. – Almaty, 2017. No. 1. – P. 95-101
4. Baitanayev B.A., Yergeshbayev A.A., Suleimenova Zh., Shayakhmetov A.Kh., Beisenov N.B. Architectural-archeological investigations of the early medieval hill-fort Tortkultobe // Otan tarikhy. – 2017. – No. 2. – P. 94-105
5. Baitanayev B.A., Goryachev A.A., Sarayev V.V., Shayakhmetov A.Kh. Archeological investigations of monuments of the early Iron Age in the foothills of Karatau and the northern slopes of the Karzhantau ridge // News of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Series of social sciences and humanities. – Almaty, 2017. No. 1(311). – P. 143-159
6. Baitanayev B.A., Yergeshbayev A.A., Shayakhmetov A.Kh., Beisenov N.B., Otar A.N., Baitanayev Ye.B., Baitanayeva A.B. “Watchtowers” of Ispidzhab” (Preliminary results) // Electronic scientific journal “edu.e-history.kz”. – 2018. – No. 3(15)
Materials of conferences:
1. Baitanayev B.A., Baitanayeva Yu.A., Yergeshbayev A.A., Shayakhmetov A.Kh. Field studies of burial mound group Oshakty (Preliminary results) // “Kadyrbayev Readings – 2016”. Materials of V International scientific conference. – Aktobe, 2016. – P. 80-84
2. Baitanayev B.A., Yergeshbayev A.A., Suleimenova Zh., Shayakhmetov A.Kh., Beisenov N.B. Archeological investigations of Tortkultobe hill-fort // Materials of International scientific-practical conference “Baitanayev Readings – 5: EXPO-2017 – Innovative directions in training highly qualified teachers”. – Shymkent, 2017. – P. 3-7
3. Baitanayev B.A., Yergeshbayev A.A., Shayakhmetov A.Kh. Early medieval planigraphy of Tortkultobe hill-fort // Materials of International scientific-practical conference “Spiritual modernization” national system of education and world experience”, dedicated to the 80th anniversary of South Kazakhstan State Pedagogical Institute. – Shymkent, 2017. – P. 120-124
In 2016, the research institute employees participated in the work of Summer School of Archeologists of the CIS states at the ancient settlement Sarazm, the monument of the World Heritage UNESCO located in the Republic of Tadzhikistan. The work of the Summer School took place in Panjakent city on the monuments of the Ancient Panjakent Hill-fort and ancient agricultural, proto-urban settlement Sarazm.
Participants of the Summer School of Archeologists in Panjakent, Tadzhikistan, 2016
Participants of the Summer School of Archeologists, excursion to the territory of Sarazm settlement
Contact information of the head
Baitanayev Bauyrzhan Abishevich, Academician of the National Academy of Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Doctor of Historical Sciences
Address: 160012, Shymkent, Kunayev street,
Building 8, room 21
Е- mail: email@example.com